Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Mid-Century Modern



Whenever I have a sewing failure, I like to follow it up with something easy just to prove I can still sew. There is nothing about this skirt that I could not have done in junior high school!!

My Sister bought me this fabric for my birthday last year. It's "Mid-Century Modern" just like we are. 

The pattern is an old one, but this is the first time I've used it. I liked the pattern (McCalls 3830) because it has a facing instead of a waist band. Its suits my short waist. I had a do quite a bit of paring down to get the hips right. I put a lapped zipper at the center back (the pattern instructions are for a centered zip). I got the zipper for 10 cents at a thrift store.

I really like the fit. This might become my new go-to skirt. I plan on using Petersham in place of the facing next time I make it though. 

6 comments:

  1. Really cute summer look. Love the shoes, can you reveal the maker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The shoes are by J-41. They are super comfortable and I wear them way too much!

      Delete
  2. Very cute skirt. McCall's 3830 is a fantastic pattern. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It would not be good for riding an elephant though!

      Delete
  3. Ever since seeing Rhonda Buss' tutorial on Amy Butler's Beautiful Belle handbag, where she uses a fabric somewhat akin to your skirt, I have been on the lookout for some fabric with a similar look and feel. What a great fabric gift from your sister! BTW, came over from Rhonda's Wednesday showcase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. It is home dec fabric. It was from Haberman's (Royal Oak, MI) purchased about 6 months ago.

      Delete