Wednesday, May 29, 2013

A Shirt Dress

Most of the time while I was working on this dress, I was certain it was going to end up too small. There's lot of sewing on this pattern & I kept thinking to myself  maybe I should just chuck it instead of waisting any more time on it. But in the end, though it could be a hair bigger, it does fit. I just won't be participating in any competitive eating contests wearing it!!

M6696
McCalls 6696 View C

Even with eleven pattern pieces, a fair amount of hand sewing, pockets, collar & collar stand and 10 buttons and buttonholes its not a difficult pattern, just time consuming. The pattern comes with different cup size pattern pieces and I used the D cup pattern. If I were to make this again, I'd still do a small FBA on it. The pattern is supposed to be gathered into the center back at the yoke and waist, but I eliminated the gathers and just used a dart at the back waist. I'm not quite 5 feet tall and only shorted it an inch. To circumvent armhole gaping, I  folded out a half inch wedge from the armhole toward the bust and smushed it flat with the iron. I also made the shoulders a bit narrower.  

If you like a shirt dress, I think this is a pretty good one.

7 comments:

  1. Cute dress, lovely black & white print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I generally don't go for blue, but it's actually really dark blue.

      Delete
  2. That really is stylish. Many of the shirtdress pattern have no shape and look like a sack, but yours is very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks very good on you. I have this pattern but haven't made it yet, so thanks for the tip on the length and bust.

    ReplyDelete