Monday, October 8, 2012

Pants? Really?


I don't really wear pants much. But I do play racquetball once or twice a week and I try to get to the gym when I can. For the gym you need pants.



Judging by these pictures, I've obviously been spending too much time at the sewing machine
 and not enough time at the gym.



It just kills me to pay 30 bucks for a lousy pair of stretch pants just to sweat in. Plus, they never fit me right: the hips, thighs and butt are always too big. I've only ever sewn a few pants patterns before, but I figured  even I could handle sweats.

I already had this pattern-- Butterick 5539--I've made the skirt at least a dozen times, so I knew to start with a size 12.


I read the reviews on PR and some reviewers noted that view B and C indicated that they sit 1 inch below the waistline. Which is a bit strange for elastic waist pants. At least I think so. Of course we've all seen some girls "sagging" their sweats, but I just don't think its practical for exercising!


So added 1 inch to the top of the waist, even though I'm not quite 5 feet tall. I'm glad I did, though, because they did need it. I also shortened them about 5 and a half inches and shaved a half inch of the inside back leg from the crotch tapering down to nothing at the knee. This is the flat butt adjustment & the absolute only thing I know about pants alteration! I made both the straight leg (C) and the tapered leg (B). Last night I thought I liked the tapered leg, but in the light of day, I don't. The camera and "What Not to Wear" don't lie! Tapered legs are not good, but both are good enough to sweat in!

No comments:

Post a Comment